1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine maple syrup, thyme and garlic in medium bowl. Reserve 1/4 c. for squash. Brush half of remaining syrup mixture onto all surfaces of beef roast. Reserve remaining for basting.
2. Place roast, fat-side up, in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat or touching bone. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 350°F oven 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 hr. for medium rare; 2-3/4 to 3 hr. for medium doneness, basting with syrup mixture halfway through roasting time.
3. Meanwhile, place squash, cut sides up, in 13x9-in. glass baking dish. Brush cut sides of squash with some reserved syrup mixture; evenly pour remaining mixture into each well. Roast, uncovered, 45 min., brushing cut sides with syrup mixture from wells, halfway through baking time.
4. Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare; 150°F for medium doneness. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15-20 min. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.) Meanwhile, increase oven temperature to 425°F and continue to roast squash 15-20 min. or until tender and edges begin to brown.
5. Carve roast into slices. Cut each squash half into 2 wedges, carefully spooning syrup mixture onto each wedge. Season beef and squash with salt and pepper, as desired.
* Nutrition information per serving (1/10 of recipe, 6-oz. cooked beef)
* Recipe Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
©2019 Stauffers of Kissel Hill. All Rights Reserved.